Attic inspections are probably the last thing you want to be thinking about. Out of sight, out of mind right? Wrong. Here’s why:
- Whether you choose DIY or hire a professional, checking the ventilation in your attic is a must. Improper ventilation can lead to mold, rust, and condensation that can leak into other areas of your home and cause long term damage.
- Proper ventilation will keep your home dry and mold-free.
- Insulation helps regulate the temperature of your home. In the attic, if there isn’t proper insulation, it will invite condensation, and cold temperatures affecting the rest of your house, and could even invite unwanted guests.
- Ultimately you want a clean, dry, insulated attic.
3. Roof Leaks
- If there are any leaks in your roof, they need to be dealt with immediately.
- If there’s water seeping through the roof, it can easily leak into other areas of your home and cause some serious damage. The sooner the better!
- If there are holes in your siding, roof, or anywhere else, they should be filled with foam or patched up.
- If left open, squirrels, mice, rats & birds can find their way in and start to populate and leave droppings inside your attic, and even inside the walls.
- Look for droppings, nests, leaves, acorns, and damage to insulation.
5. Exhaust Ducts & Vent Stacks
- All exhaust ducts and vents should continue through the roof to the outside.
- They should not end in the attic.
- If a roof jack, aka fart fan aka exhaust fan hose, falls off the vent, all that moist air will be in your attic and begin creating a wet environment that can lead to surface mold.
If you have any questions, talk to us and get a free estimate!