In 2016, Tanner Tennyson was an estimator for a large contractor and saw roofing prices raise 30% with the same quality of products and the same level of service.
“I had worked for the 3rd largest roofing company in the world. I knew what the best products were. The market took a big price hike and were using sub par products so Integrity was born,” stated Tennyson.
Since Integrity Roofing & Construction (IRC) started, Tennyson built a brand and team that aimed to honor homeowners; brinign commercial grade products to the market sold at residential prices. The company grew so much that IRC bought a building for its showroom in November 2017 on Viking Way in Poulsbo.
How’s my roof?
When Tennyson came up with the idea to start IRC, he understood that there were some important questions homeowners were asking while searching for a roofing contractor.
- What does the market offer?
- What is the true longevity of any given roofing product?
- What is the return on investment on certain products?
Cedar Shake Dilemma
- The Benefits:
Cosmetics Appeal – Natural shake roofing is beautiful, rich dimension, variegated colors, and natural wood texture. The different widths and lengths create a staggered look with deep shadow lines, no two shake roofs look the same; providing a coveted, unique tailored look. Arguably the most beautiful product for a roof, turning a house into a home.
- The History:
Old growth cedar trees are tight grain, creating a dense, strong material which can merit a 50 year lifespan as it continually emits natural oils which preserve the wood. Unfortunately these trees have been milled but the material was still being installed widely into the 1990’s and early 2000’s
- The Performance:
Cedar shake roofs still in existence are derived from a younger tree, are thinner, less dense and therefore less waterproof (easily rot), the shakes curl and cup due to oxidation, suseptible to wind and fire and are expensive to maintain. While these products are beautiful they are now becoming known for being a financial burden.
- Our suggestion:
Take control of your real estate….Besides your family, your home is likely your largest investment….protect the investment and do so, on your terms. Prior to selling your home get an inspection performed and if you need a new roof, decided on who performs the work and the price you are willing to pay. Otherwise, when you are in the process of selling, a value may be given which is higher than you may have spent to get the work done had you picked the contractor.
Whether you’re planning on staying for several more years or selling in the near future, taking action on your roof, educating yourself is the best way to making a sound financial decision that is best for your family.
“Americans own their homes on average for 8-10 years, sometimes a complete re-roof isn’t always in a homeowners best interest. We want to educate so people can make the best decision for their family.”
What do signs of roof damage look like and how can a homeowner determine what services they need? Some signs are hard to see from the ground, but can be quite visible from a safe distance.
Here are the top three warning signs to look out for:
- Leaks – Note any dark markings around penetrations of your roof, including skylights and pipes. Most leaks start around existing penetrations and can be visible from the attic. In more grave scenarios, drywall rot and damage would be a result of leaks. Skylights usually cause problems, make sure to look at the surrounding walls, ceiling and humidity within the panes of glass.
- Moss – Living in the Pacific Northwest provides its fair share of wet weather. But when moss starts forming on a roof, it holds moisture against the roof surface and overtime in freezing climates can cause damage to the shingle granules.
- Cracked, bald shingles (or brittle and breaking shake) – Granule loss on asphalt shingles is the #1 biggest problem causing inspectors to lower the price of your home pre-sale. When the rocks come off a shingle, it indicates a loss of structure and integrity of the shingle. Shingles may also crack over time as a result of the aging and oxidation process, creating more entrances for moisture to penetrate the roof.
A roofing estimator can look in-depth into these concerns and assess other signs from physically being on the roof. Photos from these estimates are also helpful for both the contractor and the homeowner to have an idea of what scope-of-work may be involved.
Finding the Right Contractor
When seeking out a licensed and bonded professional to provide services on your roof, there is value in a company that prioritizes safety for roofing crew and homeowners. A contractor with high standards for its employees likely indicates a high standard for their brand, service and materials.
But why is that important?
People often desire the best cost, but often times the infrastructure of the company and therefore the service is subpar.
The focus on developing a top-quality roofing service successfully helped Integrity become a household name for roofing. Providing additional services naturally became the next focus when the remodel division opened up last July. Since then, IRC has maintained the of face-to-face interactions with homeowners. Customers can expect their thorough estimates within a day with a line of communication to the estimating team for any questions.
Helping homeowners understand major investments like roofing and remodeling is part of IRC’s creation and core values. Building trust is crucial when it comes to these investments. With a bigger presence in the community and a growing staff, IRC continues the same sharp focus on helping customers as it did when the company was a one-man show.